The Perfect Snack
Viewing entries tagged
The Perfect Snack
I might have really outdone myself with this recipe here. I’ve been making this for a few months now and every version came out just fine, awesome actually (I just knew I could do better.) The fact that I’m not 300lbs with a giant muffin top spilling over my pants after eating all the food I make is pretty awesome, I feel like I’m cheating the system. Thats why I share what I know with everyone so people will know how food that fuels life should be tasting amazing, while being easy to make. Here it is, share it with friends, make it for yourself, tell everyone it’s too good not to share.
• 1 can coconut Milk, full fat
• 1 ripe avocado
• 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
• 1 tablespoon of natural sweetener, (i.e. local honey, stevia, maple syrup)
• 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
• 1/4 cup whey protein powder (isolate or consulate, preferable from grass-fed cattle) optional
1. Leave canned coconut milk in fridge over night or at least for one hour. When you open can, carefully scoop out only the solid coconut fat, the liquid part is extra that I haven’t found a good use for yet.
2. Combine coconut, avocado, cocoa powder, salt, whey protein powder and a small amount of the sweetener of your choice. The goal is to use as little of the sweetener as possible. (The whey protein powder can be left out if you don’t have it in your pantry, with it the consistency becomes a little creamier.)
3. Some sweetness will be needed to add to the flavor so start by adding just a small amount then blend and taste add more if needed and taste again.
4. Store in fridge or make fresh.
Thanks for checking out my recipe if you like it please, share it with friends or leave a comment to let me know if you like it.
This is a recipe that I found online and had to add some flavor to make it my own. A super cool way to paleo hack for your post-workout protein.
4 eggs (as natural raised as possible)
1/2 can of Organic pumpkin mix (find in the baking isle)
1 tablespoon local raw honey
Cinnamon to taste
*extra credit add a teaspoon of MCT oil or coconut oil to up the healthy omega 3’s
Combine all ingredients in a blender with ice then blend till ice is mixed into drink. This will stay cold for a few hours if you take it with you to the gym to drink afterwards.
If you don’t have a blender just combine all ingredients into a plastic bottle with ice and shake vigorously. You might have a hard time getting the honey to incorporate into the beverage without the blender so just make sure the honey goes in after the pumpkin, and it won’t stick to the bottle as much.
There is a reason why you must blend this or shake vigorously in a blender bottle. If the eggs aren’t denatured is someway they will not be fully digested by the body. Blending the eggs will help to break down the protein, as well as combining the MCT oil which will bind with the
Pumpkin is a great source of carbohydrates through vegetables. Getting your daily source of carbohydrates through vegetables will make sure your getting a boat load of fiber and other nutrients that your body will need to recover from your workout.
Eggs are probable the best source of easily accessible protein, if you can get if from a friend who is naturally raising chickens then you get bonus health points. But they need to be denatured, if you just drink raw eggs like Rocky your body will only be able to process about %64 of the protein.
Raw honey that is sourced locally helps your immune system function by introducing local bee pollen on a regular basis. Basically if you can find a way to have a small amount of raw honey everyday you won’t be as affected by sessional allergies.
Cinnamon has been shown to have positive health effects all across the board, from lowering the glycemic index of a food to improving someones chances against cancer and it tastes pretty awesome.
Learn more about raw honey here
Learn more about cinnamon here
Learn more about raw eggs here